[TowerTalk] Running Cables Into Shack

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Running Cables Into Shack
From: jimsmith@ns.net (Jim Smith)
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 18:17:17 -0700
    Hi Mike,
the way I run any low voltage cables at job sites, and the way I handled my
antenna cables at home is to drill enough holes in the wall's top plate to
accommodate the cables. This will require a big beefy drill, or some
patience with a smaller drill. Next, look or probe around to make sure there
are no other cables inside the wall near where you'll be running yours. Also
watch out for blocks that may interfere.
    You can buy cut-in rings specifically intended for communications cables
from your local electrical distributor. There are several companies that
make them including Caddy, B-Line, and others. I often use the Caddy MP-1.
If this is not large for all your cables, you can get a 2 gang ring.
    Once installed, you can bring the cables through the opening, and place
an electrical trim plate with a hole in it over the cut-in ring. Be sure to
do this before soldering on any ends. If you ever need to remove the cables,
you can cover the ring with a standard blank plate, or even install a new
phone jack there.
Jim Smith
KQ6UV