[TowerTalk] Running Cables Into Shack

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Running Cables Into Shack
From: cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (L. B. Cebik)
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 11:23:13 -0400 (EDT)
There are many ways of runningwires from the attic to the shack, so my
experiences are only e pluribus unum.  At one location, I cut a ceiling
hole at a room corner.  I then build a frame from floor to ceiling and
dry-walled and paited it to match the walls.  Made the column the same
width as a set of book shelves I built along the wall.  When done, the
column looked like it had always been a part of the room structure.  The
base-board was hinged to pass the cables.  Remove the cables and close the
hinged piece, and the function disappeared.

At the present house, I cut a plug from the ceiling, but have saved the
plug.  If I ever move, the plug goes back and will be smoothed to a
repainted ceiling invisibly.  Also in a corner, but cables are exposed to
view.  However, room is on the lower floor apart from the main living
space.  I contemplated making a temporary column to fit in the corner and
cover the cables and look almost as natural as the earlier house
treatment.  However, went easier on myself this time.

Just 2 of many ways.

-73-

LB, W4RNL