[TowerTalk] Problem with Phillystran Big Grips...advice?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Problem with Phillystran Big Grips...advice?
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 22:25:37 -0700

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-09-07 22:43:37 EDT, n6cr@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
> > What have you Philly users done about this problem?  Bend the ends of
> >  the wrap out away from the Philly?  Used a Dremmel tool to cut about
> >  1/2 to 1 inch of the end of the wrap away?  Let the wrap ends just bite
> >  into the jacket?
>
>        I wouldn't do anything except install them per the factory
> instructions. The jacket doesn't have much inherent strength and therefore the
> load is mostly compressive with the weight-bearing on the kevlar fibers. The
> job of the jacket is provide UV protection to the inner fibers. The fact that
> the strand ends dig into the jacket isn't fatal. Making hip-pocket engineering
> decisions MAY be.

I would only add that doing nothing is also making a decision, which could also
be
a bad decision.  I agree with Steve about following the manufacturer's
installation instructions, but if they are not clear or you can't seem to follow
them as written or something seems out of the ordinary, you should ask the
manufacturer about it.  It may take a little time, but I would certainly rather
be
safe than sorry.  Who knows, you may have run into a batch of defective grips
that
got through quality control.  You won't know if you don't ask.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com