[TowerTalk] 160M Inverted Vee vs. Half Slopers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160M Inverted Vee vs. Half Slopers
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 17:06:07 -0400 (EDT)

Well the obvious answer is both.  But, if you are forced to make a
decision... I would say the 1/2 sloper would be the best.  Now a word of
caution:

It is my experience that a 1/2 sloper for 80 or 160 seems to only work
under some kind of 40 meter yagi.  I had 1/2 slopers for 80 and 160 on a
90' Rohn 45 with a TH7 and a 402CD on top.  They worked very well.

I used 1/2 slopers at K4VX/0 many years ago that were mounted on a 130'
tower with a full sized 3 element 40 meter yagi.  One NE and one west.
They also worked very well.  On RX, there was about 10db difference
between the two antennas on some signals.

I have heard of others who only had a large tribander who have failed to
even make the antenna resonant in the band.

Try the 1/2 sloper first.  If you can get it resonant in the band, the
chances are good that it will work FB.  If it doesn't, you know what to
do.

73

Bill, W4AN