[TowerTalk] *&%$*# BEAM UPDATE

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] *&%$*# BEAM UPDATE
From: k9huh@icss.net (Ted & Joyce Wilhelm)
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 13:23:54 -0500
First let me thank all the tower talkers who took time to reply to my
recent problem....I checked the starting capacitor first as that seemed
like the easiest to get to and was mentioned most often,,,,It was
good...Considered variopus ways of lowering and blocking and even had
the offer of a friends small 30 foot bucket truck...I shot a rope over
the boom and released the brake and found once it was beyond a certain
point (should have done that right away) it would start operating OK
when I tried to go back it stalled in the same spot...Pulled rope in
other direction and it started running again. Hmmm something definetly
wrong in rotator and it was at that point I decided it was time to crank
it down (I could now get around the tree to put it in nested
possition)Then I went ahead and tilted it over to remove the
rotator.Pulled the rotator apart and found some teeth missing on the
ring gear.Plan to have the rotator completely checked out befor it goes
back up...OH WELL back to operating off the butternut vertical I used to
use..Some signal is better than no signal....Well THANKS again for all
the great comments and suggestions.
73 Ted  "HUH"
lifes to short for QRP