[TowerTalk] Silicone Grease--Use of

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Silicone Grease--Use of
From: AA9VC@aol.com (AA9VC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 15:08:23 EDT
I'm looking for help in the use of silicone grease on connectors, such as
PL259's.  I have Dow Corning #4 silicone compound.

Exactly how does one use this on the connector?   Will it short out the center
conductor to the outside braid (does it conduct)?  Will it prevent a good
connection by creating a barrier between the center conductor by not allowing
a "metal to metal" contact?

I was reading through the archives and it seems that it's used quite a bit by
professional installers (ie cable co).  But, I'm not real sure on it's proper
use from what information I was able to collect from the archive.

Thank you for your help.

Scott/AA9VC