[TowerTalk] HF Yagi Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HF Yagi Antennas
From: dlhough@vegas.infi.net (Dave)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:54:40 -0700
> Also, Cushcraft V7 and X9.  Please let me know
> about your preferences and on the air practical experience with any of
> these.  In addition, if you have another preferences. please comment on
> that as well.
>
> Best 73's
>
> John K7JB

        We recently got a Cushcraft X7 and have been using it on the air for
several weeks now and are pleased with its performance.

        John Cramond, GM4NHI has a web page with a review and some tips on the
X7 that shouldn't be overlooked by potential buyers and assemblers. Use
your browser and key in +GM4NHI and you will turn up his page.

        I would take the performance information provided in the ads by
Cushcraft with a grain of salt. They use dbi as the performance measure
and no earthling I know has built the isotropic antenna. But, John has
done some on the air tests and provides some down to earth informatin.

        Just remember the X7 may have 7 elements but only 3 are active on any
given band at any one time. The X9 is 9 elements but only 4 are active
at any time.

        Don't think it was intended, but the antenna's design lets you also use
the X7 on 12 and 17 meters also.

73
Dave, KC7DM
Las Vegas