[TowerTalk] Foled T for 160

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Foled T for 160
From: zeitler@ibm.net (zeitler@ibm.net)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:03:55 -0700
Reflectees,
Several hams recommended that since I have the 30 foot pine trees in the
front and back yard that I should go with a folded T antenna for 160. The
vertical portion of the T would be only 30 feet tall. Each side of the
horiz. T portion can only be 50 feet long but this is too short for only 30
feet of vertical. For 30 feet of vertical I need each side of the T to be
equal to 1/4 wavelength minus 30 feet = around 100 feet per side.

Hence the idea of folding the horiz. T elements back on themselves.

Questions:

1. How much seperation btwn the wires as they foldback?? Would a foot of
seperation work?? More?

2. Does it matter if they fold back in a horiz. plane that is side by side
or one on top and the other on the bottom per side??

____________________________________________________\______________________
!     _______________________/
                             ^                           !
^
           This side is 50 ft long          !       This side is also 50 ft
long
          (100' folded back on itself)  !          (100' folded back on
itself)
                                                          !
                                                          !
                                                          !   < Vertical
portion is only 30' tall
                                                          !
                                                          !
                                                          !
=========================/
                        ^                                   Radials here,
lots of 'em
            coax from shack

I wish I could model this but I do not have the capability. If you rcv'd
this and the "picture" is all messed up I apoligize. As I am typing this it
is perfectly lined up. I know sometimes after they are sent via e-mail
things happen:-)

Comments please.

Lane
KM3G