[TowerTalk] Elevated Guys - 2nd Try

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Elevated Guys - 2nd Try
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 08:46:11 -0400
The only correct answer is "Only your PE knows for sure".

I think you should be able to work with that square pipe, but it would help
if you  knew what the material was exactly.

What you'll need in the ground totally depends on your soil conditions.

Steve, I'm using 1/2" angle steel members for elevated guys on 110' of Rohn
45 loaded with 3 XA's and a 402CD.
This is much less expensive than I beams, since you dont have to do any
torch cutting or web reinforcement.
I paid about $350 for 3 NEW 10' pieces with holes for rebar and a hole and
camfer for the equalizer plates in one corner, and primed.  The long edge
(about 4" if I remember correctly) faces towards the tower.

They are 4' in and 6' out of the concrete with just some holes and
crossed-over rebar through the bottom to hold it in the approximately 1/2
yard of concrete.

My design was approved by my PE and they've been up for several years with
no signs of problems

73, Ty K3MM