[TowerTalk] I-Beams for Elevated Guy Anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] I-Beams for Elevated Guy Anchors
From: jimi@designet.com (Jim Idelson)
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 22:55:41 -0400
Hi, structural experts . . . need your assistance, please.

I have frequently heard about the use of I-beams to elevate guy anchor
points, but I've never actually seen it done. Now I may be in a position
to have to use one (or more). Here is the scenario:

1.    The tower will be 80 feet of Rohn 25
2.    The tower will be house-bracketed at 22 feet
3.    Guys will be used at 50 and 75 feet
4.    I-beam anchoring should meet or exceed the equivalent
ground-guying at 80% radius, as shown in standard Rohn specs

I have some basic questions:

1.    What type of beam should be used?
2.    Where can a satisfactory I-beam be procured inexpensively?
(Pre-owned, perhaps?)
3.    What kind of contractor puts them in?
4.    How deep should the I-beam be placed in the ground versus the
height above ground?
5.    What is a maximum practical height (I am thinking between 6 and 16
feet) above ground?
6.    Should the I-beam be embedded in concrete?
7.    What should be expected in the way of cost for the materials? Cost
of installation?
8.    Are there standard tables that indicate strength of this kind of
I-beam installation, which could be used to compare with the Rohn
concrete anchor strength tables (to show the Building Inspector)

Thanks,

Jim K1IR
jimi@designet.com
Sudbury, MA