[TowerTalk] I-Beams for Elevated Guy Anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] I-Beams for Elevated Guy Anchors
From: sales@advantagecomm.net (Scott Bullock)
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 06:00:21 +0100
Jim, sounds like you got your permit approved, congrats. Now the fun part
really begins.

>1.    What type of beam should be used?
Depends on your guying specs, get a PE.

>2.    Where can a satisfactory I-beam be procured inexpensively?
>(Pre-owned, perhaps?)
Scrapyards, try RT135 in Framingham, or rt16 in Everett.

>3.    What kind of contractor puts them in?
Pick one in your area, try DJ Morris at 4432599, tell him I sent you.

>4.    How deep should the I-beam be placed in the ground versus the
>height above ground?
Get a PE

>5.    What is a maximum practical height (I am thinking between 6 and 16
>feet) above ground?
Depends on how much mud you want to pour, Get a PE

>6.    Should the I-beam be embedded in concrete?
Always, get a PE

>7.    What should be expected in the way of cost for the materials? Cost
>of installation?
Get a PE, then look around for I beam.

>8.    Are there standard tables that indicate strength of this kind of
>I-beam installation, which could be used to compare with the Rohn
>concrete anchor strength tables (to show the Building Inspector)
Get a PE

These are all engineering questions best not answered over email from the
reflector. I have already given you some basic engineering specs that show
your tower is overloaded with what you want to put on it, get a PE and
don't mess around. Do it by the book-you don't need more neighbor problems.

Scott
KA1CLX