[TowerTalk] Change in plans. More questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Change in plans. More questions
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 00:40:18 -0700
Hi Rick,

Your observation about Rohn 45G handling less than 25G as read in you Rohn
book is not a misprint.  If you look close, you will see a couple of other
things.  One is that 45G includes some more hardware (sidearms) and
feedlines in their ratings than 25G does.  If you don't use that many
feedlines or that much hardware, you can use more square feet of antennas.
Another thing to look at is that the 45G has only two sets of guys and the
25G has three sets.  Also, notice where the top set attaches.  On the 45G,
it is down 15 feet at the 85 foot level while on the 25G it is down only 5
feet at the 95 foot level.

Also, and very important, the diagrams given the the Rohn book are but a few
of the thousands of possible ways to put up Rohn towers.  For example, you
could guy right at the top of the tower and use more sets of guys below the
top set than Rohn specifies in their examples.  This will strengthen the
tower A LOT.  Determining exactly how much is an exercise for a professional
engineer.  Rohn can tell you but it will cost you more than you want to
spend to find out from them.

One of my Rohn 25 tower is 102 feet out of the ground I have four sets of
guys on it.  Very strong.  Five Yagis for 10 and 15 meters on it plus a few
VHF/UHF verticals and a couple of wires.  It has been up in lots of wind
since 1973.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com