[TowerTalk] Side mounting 2m beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Side mounting 2m beam
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 11:01:08 +0100
At 11:09 PM 10/7/98 -0500, Michael Brown wrote:

>I aggree completely with the concept of omni-directional antennas
>for packet. My comet at 65ft was great when the cluster I was
>working was only 20-25 miles away. Problem with it, is they lost
>(at least temporarily) the link to the other clusters, and the
>nearest one now is more like 40 miles away. At times the link
>is pretty good with the comet. But other times it retrys and
>if I listen to the incoming signal, there is a little crackle
>and pop that the beam may cure. I hope ;-)

Insisting on omni antennas for those on the fronges of coverage of a given
cluster may actually hurt rather than help. The key is to be able to hear
others accessing the same cluster, which you may not be able to do without
some gain.  If the others using the node are mostly within the pattern of
your yagi, collision performance may actually improve.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"