[TowerTalk] Side mounting 2m beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Side mounting 2m beam
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 16:25:43 -0400
Mike, it sounds like, from your posting, what you are about to do is not
conducive to good PacketCluster (tm) operating procedure and may cause
you and others lots of trouble.

You mention "local packet cluster" so I assume you are within 25 miles
or so of the node which you wish to use.  PacketCluster operates on the
principle of "hear and be heard".  All stations listen to the frequency
(including the node) and never transmit until the frequency is clear.
If the frequency is busy, the TNC does not allow the transmitter to
transmit.

Therefore, for optimum throughput, all stations on the frequency must be
able to hear all of the others.  To do this, usually requires
omni-directional antennas at all locations.  If one station has a
directional antenna pointed at the node, others not in the antenna
pattern will not hear the station transmit and might/would "step on"
that station, causing retries for each station.  Likewise, the station
with the directional antenna might/would not hear other stations not in
the pattern of his antenna and "step-on" and cause retries for both of
these stations.  All that reduces throughput for the entire node.

There are rare exceptions to the above, which must be looked at on a
case-by-case basis.  If that is your case, please describe it to the
list.

Bottom line, generally the best set-up for PacketCluster is an
omnidirectional gain antenna, mounted in the clear, above the tree line,
and a transmitter of 25 watts or more.  Again, there are exceptions.

73
Bill, N3RR