[TowerTalk] Fence tube or Lightweight EMT tube for mast....

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fence tube or Lightweight EMT tube for mast....
From: k4oj@ij.net (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:34:03 -0400
I am modeling a "stack" for ten meters and am debating about rotating
multiple yagis simultaneously from one rotor "sidemounted" which is very
"tall".

There would be twenty some odd feet in between the yagis, and the tall mast
would have a rotor at its "base".

The antennas would be little 4 element jobbies, very lightweight short
boomed yagis to clear the guys, etc.

Question, why couldn't I use a lightweight galvanized tube for this mast?

All the mast has to do is provide rotation to the beams...WHICH ARE
TINY....the mast would be offset form the side of the tower by a small
distance, maybe 9" to 12".

The chain link fence guys use galvanized steel tube which seems sufficient
for this task, and a heck of a lot less expensive than aluminum or even
water pipe (note this is NOT a climbable mast, but an along side the middle
of the tower thing).

Tell me why I should NOT use the fence stuff.......or maybe electricians
thinwall EMT?

The Fence stuff seems like a better bet in that it is available in longer
pieces.....requiring fewer "splices"........and, yes Barry - I will adapt
it to 2 1/16" diameter at the base so it correctly will match the HyGain
rotor's mouth!

Thoughts from the group ????????

tnx

73,

Jim, K4OJ
k4oj@ij

One  month until Sweepstakes CW, make sure you work me so you will not miss
the elusive South Floirda multiplier!

Proud member of the Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:
http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP
website@:
http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm