[TowerTalk] Boom stress with ice

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Boom stress with ice
From: sdetloff@metlife.com (Scott R Detloff)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:02:27 -0400

Since I have had the opportunity to re-engineer my antenna
system, I'm making sure that everything is made to survive
extreme conditions.  All the elements for 10, 15 and 20M are
rated at atleast 120MPH using Yagistress.  The problem that
I've encountered is the amount of tension that exhibited on the
guy strut with only .25" of radial ice.  On 20M it is over 3,000#.
Because the antennas are all on rings, I like the simplicity of
only a single overhead truss.

What I'm a little curious about is what kind of turnbuckle to use
to take these forces, short of what I'm using to guy the tower.
Is anyone not using turnbuckles and "hardwiring" it to length
and leaving it?  BTW, all the trusses will be Phillystran.

Scott K8DX