[TowerTalk] Response to R for math

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Response to R for math
From: CQK8DO@aol.com (CQK8DO@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:37:19 EDT
Hmmm, My ZIPPO seems to have light someones fire....
It wasn't intentional and I have not replied in any fashion until now, so
there cannot be any kind of a flame war because I'm not playing...

The original question about filling a tubing or pipe mast with some hardening
substance was a good question.. My Zippo answer is addressed to the real world
and is correct, if a bit terse.... The tiny increase in the bending resistance
of the mast by filling a metal tube with a flowable substance,such as epoxy,
would not be of any useable or useful quantity, whereas the increase in
weight, and the considerable increase in cost, would be of magnitudes
greater...  I stand by my zippo (up wind, just to be careful ) answer...

For those inclined to inquire as to specifics -  you may email me privately
and we can exchange a few equations to illustrate that the increased
resistance in bending moment of the filled tube versus the unfilled tube is to
the right of the decimal point...

I can point you to some literature that has the relevant physics and
equations... From the field of aircraft design (wing spars have to be both
light and strong ) I highly recommend
1. Low Power Laminar Aircraft Structures - by Strojnik, who does an excellent
job of teaching the concepts of moment of inertia, bending moments, stress,
strain, and shear, etc. without going into calculus....
2. Stress Without Tears... A ditto book, really fun reading
3.  Modern  Aircraft Design - By Holloman - A ditto book
4. Composite Basics - By Marshall

Cheers  ...  Denny