[TowerTalk] Response to R for math

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Response to R for math
From: W4EF@pacbell.net (Michael Tope)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 16:15:57 +-100
David,

This question is not as absurd as you might think. First of all, I think
people are confusing two issues, bending strength and damping. Filling
an antenna element with some "stuff" to dampen a mechanical resonance is
probably a useful technique which may prevent metal fatigue. If I recall
correctly one technique that people used is to put ropes inside hollow tube
elements to dampen vibration. Epoxy would probably add too much weight to the
element, so I suspect that this is not a good idea - foam on the hand might
work well.
Unfortunately, my knowledge of all this fall into the category of acquired folk
wisdon. I have never really studied it rigoursly, so I may be all wet here.

In terms of bending strength you are probably correct that adding epoxy to the
inside of a mast would not contribute much to the overall strength of the
installation. The idea does beg an interesting question though, how does one
calculate the bending strength of a mast made of two different materials? For
example, what if I have an aluminum mast with a steel insert inside of it? How
does the bending moment distribute itself between the two materials. In this
case I suspect it depends on the Youngs modulus of the two materials
(stress/strain).
The stiffer material (not necessarily the stronger material) will take most of
the
load (kind of like two concentric springs with different Hook's constants) when
subject
to a bending moment.

I recall getting a pretty good grade in my statics course in college, but thats
about all I
remember. I will definetly have to get out a book to figure out this one. Any
other
mechanical mavens out there who know the answer?

73 de Mike, W4EF........