[TowerTalk] quad vs. yagi @ low height

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] quad vs. yagi @ low height
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, W4AN)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 20:44:44 -0400
K1TTT said:
-----------
>most of my
>models were to determine if it was worth putting the bottom half of
>the loop on an 80m inverted v beam with the tops of the loops, and the
>tops of the v's at 150'.... it isn't.  not only would i lose gain
>(just fractions of a db), but it makes construction much harder as
>it would require another rope, twice the wire to accumulate ice, and
>fishing the bottom wire around guy wires and lower yagis.

K4VX and I put up a 2 element quad loop array fixed on Europe on a 180'
tower.  Lew later took it down.  The 80 meter antenna he is using now is a
flat top dipole at 170' fed with open wire feeders.  He says it's the best
80 meter antenna they have used for Europe.  Better than the bobtail too.
There can't be enough said for high and flat.

73

Bill, W4AN - K4AAA

Bill Fisher, W4AN (EX KM9P)
http://www.contesting.com