[TowerTalk] Ground Rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 09:32:15 EDT
In a message dated 98-10-17 00:55:57 EDT, baldwin@primenet.com writes:

>  I just read comments on the
>  (antenna) reflector from a fellow Arizonian who also had the same problem.
>  I also was wondering like he did (thought it might be a dumb question)
>  why do ground rods have to be buried vertically ? Why can't a few
>  (#12 six feet) wires be layed out horizontally just a few inches down?

     They can be installed horizontally. As long as they're below the frost
line (yeah right - Arizona), they can be used in that configuration. Obviously
the hemisphere of influence is only 1/2 in the ground so you might want to
have additional ground rods to make up for it. Otherwise, all other
construction techniques would apply.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC