[TowerTalk] Ground Rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
From: spelunk.sueno@mci2000.com (spelunk.sueno)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 23:41:06 -0400
You might also want to consider using copper straps as the "horizontal
ground rods" in rocky soil.  Bury them at the same depth as, but, obviously,
at right angles to, the interconnecting conductors and use appropriate
connectors and joint compound.  And it's better to use more shorter
straps than fewer longer ones.  In the latter case you're building up
inductance over the length of the long strap and essentially wasting the
copper material at the far end of each run.

Polyphaser's GLEP book (I just got mine) shows, on pp. 38-39, how a ground
system "fills up" with lightning energy.  Inductance acts like blockages
along each conductive path, making it more difficult for the ground system
to "fill up"; the ungrounded energy goes somewhere else (into your shack).

When I worked at a power company in Pennsylvania we ran into glaciated rock
(boulders buried a foot or two below the surface) throughout the Pocono
Mountains and we laid our ground rods at substations there horizontally in
trenches.  Seemed to work.  GL.

-Gene Smar  AD3F