[TowerTalk] "stainless steel" corrosion

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] "stainless steel" corrosion
From: designserv@ipass.net (LYN)
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 09:47:32 -0400
Lately I have noticed several comments to the effect that
stainless steel clamps, hardware, etc. do not corrode.

It is my understanding that stainless steel is only corrosion
resistant and that the corrosion resistance depends upon
the presence of an oxide film on the surface of the material.
This oxide film can be damaged but is normally self-renewing
in the presence of oxygen.

It is my understanding that if the surface film is covered by
water which is trapped against the surface, the oxygen levels
can become depleted and corrosion can result.

Perhaps there are towertalkians who are able to shed more
light on this topic. With just a quick search I found some
information at:

http://www.chester-jensen.com/stainless.htm

If anyone has a quick url for more information, I would like
to be informed.

Lyn, W4WDN