[TowerTalk] Best wire type antenna for 75m/80m DX coverage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best wire type antenna for 75m/80m DX coverage
From: n2bc@ibm.net (Bill Coleman N2BC)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:35:15 -0400
I'll second Mark's approach.   I used this technique on a flat-top dipole
for 80/75 and it increased the bandwidth significantly. Not enough to cover
3.5 to 3.8 but this antenna was quite low, abt 30' max.

I currently have a 40M 'Fan' inverted vee with the apex at 50' and it's
under 1.5:1 across all of 40M.

In both antennas I observed another effect...   adding the second wire
significantly shortened the entire antenna. As I recall (6 or 7 years ago),
the original 80M dipole ended up 10' or so shorter after adding the second
conductor.

Spacing of the second conductor at the far end on the 80/75 was 8' - only
because I used some 1X2s that were 'in stock' as  spacers.  The 40M fan I
currently have is spaced abt 3' - again arbitrary.

Enjoy!   73, Bill   N2BC