[TowerTalk] KT34-XA refurb/0,5 ohms

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KT34-XA refurb/0,5 ohms
From: WBH3@chrysler.com (WBH3@chrysler.com)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:24:17 -0500
Hi, Dave:

Thanks for your taking the time out to let me know about the 0.5 ohms.  It
seems that somewhere I saw a posting that quoted something from the
"handbook"  or "bible" per K6LL about  subject antenna.  Do you have more
info secreted away?? Possibly I have your call confused with another
gentlemans.   I did find out one thing, namely that KLM has published a 5
page flyer discussing changing  lengths and configurations to adjust for
frequency /swr problems.

 For your info, I measured   5 of the elements and got the following
readings between  cap tubes:

180 ohms
0.7 (yeah, thats right, 0.7).....How in the world did that happen?

I took one of the ends off the 6 foot,  1 inch dia.  aluminum element  and,
starting with the linear jumper strap, cleaned it and went from 120 to 80
ohms.  Next the type A strap at the 10 meter cap and that took me down to
75 ohms.The strap on the 15 meter cap had no effect and that's as far as
I've gotten.  Just for the fun of it, I think I'll keep a table of starting
and intermediate values as I clean all 10 element tips and see if there is
anything statistically significant.  Since I gotta do it anyway, I might as
well see if I can derive some information from this exercise.

Anyway, thanks for the info, Dave.

73,

Bill Haselmire   WX8S