[TowerTalk] Opinions on Tower permission issue....

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Opinions on Tower permission issue....
From: d.dimitry@mci2000.com (d.dimitry)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 12:13:42 -0600

Re: tower permission, in most cases, and this one also, I would definately
recommend #2 option.  I've seen customers try to slide things by the local
department only to have to back peddle in a hurried, bothered and more
expensive
way, once the officials come down on them.  And you'd be surprised how much
smaller a big honkin' tower will make your neighborhood or city.  Sure there
are always the reactionary soccer moms with a huge pre-sharpened axes they
want to grind,  but usually they are a lot easier to handle
upfront
versus after the desecration has occurred.  When you present all the
engineering and legal & legislative docs up front & beforehand,
the tsk, tskking can only give
them so much milage.  However, if you show yourself to be a thick-skulled,
stiff-necked ham fanatic, and start erecting things regardless of others
feelings or concerns, they'll want to MAKE YOU PAY even though they'll
probably eventually OK the whole thing, at least that's my op based on past
stories.
My philosphy:  spend a couple bucks on a lawyer now and a even a couple on
an engineer to provide specific approval for your install.  The work they do
will probably smooth issues out repeatedly over many years.  It's like
insurance for the life of your tower days.  Plus, they'll be glad for the
business, the city will be glad you complied, and your neighbors will have
more respect for you as a straight-shooter.  Think of the process as group
therapy for the entire community.
Take care,

Drake Dimitry
Heights Towers

You wrote:

>Hello fellow TowerTalkian's...
>
>After 20 years of guest-operating in contests, finally picked up 100' of
Rohn 25
>and am living on 5.5 acres in Southern NH. So... now I want to put up my
tower,
>and finally do some operating from home.
>
>I live in a very small town (pop. < 600), in the center of town in the
"historic"
>district.  Recently, our town passed a tower ordinance which prohibits
towers of
>any kind in the "historic" district.  A couple of years ago the New
Hampshire house
>ratified PRB-1, and therefore, as I understand it,  I CAN essentially put
the tower up.

>About 1.5 acres of my 5.5 are woods.  Was planning to put 80 or 90 ft up in
>the woods, with only the top 15-20 feet sticking out of the trees.  The
tower would
>fall no where near my house or neighbors.  I also have to please the XYL!
>
>Another fly in the ointment is that the head of the planning board is
>my next door neighbor.
>
>So, here are the possibilities:
>
>1> Put the tower up without contacting the town.  Let them come to me and
complain.
>   Present NH house stuff and other documents if they do.  I presume I'll
need a lawyer
>   if they give me a cease and desist order.  This plan scares the XYL.
>2> Prepare documents (PRB-1, NH House info, Rohn specs.) and present to the
planning board. See
>   what they say.  This plan scares me.
>
>Am I going to need a lawyer?  I'm not prepared for a $10,000 legal battle.
Or, am I worried