[TowerTalk] Feedlines on tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Feedlines on tower
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:10:27 -0500
Let me add a comment to Steve's otherwise fine advice:

I use #14 THHN solid, insulated wire for all my cabling on the tower.
Since most of my cables are LDF-4-50A (1/2 inch hardline), I twist the
THHN around the cable TWICE and then run the ends around a leg and
through an existing hole in the tower leg.  My tower has angle legs and
holes every foot or so, so its easy for me to attach the cable every 4
feet.  I pull the cable tight, close to the leg so that the #14 THHN not
only holds it on the leg, it holds the weight of the cable as well.
That's why I use two twists around the cable.  Sometimes I twist two
cables together with the same THHN, but each cable has two twists on it
with the same THHN wire.

I do the same with my RG-8 type cables.

I also do bring the cables up inside the tower. This makes climbing
easier and does provide a Faraday shield.  It's slightly more difficult
to install, but the resulting installation is much neater.

I use black or blue # 14 THHN cable so it doesn't show up when looking
at the tower.  This cable comes in 500 ft rolls at electrical supply
shops.

Bill, N3RR