[TowerTalk] TIC General Corp.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TIC General Corp.
From: CQK8DO@aol.com (CQK8DO@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 08:58:40 EST
Hi Barry..
Well, I also replaced my existing pot with the their newer recommended pot,
and STILL had a problem not long after that... I got a spray can of teflon
lubricant from the local hardware store... I don't remember the brand and I am
at the office at the moment, and I don't think it matters... I suspect that
silicone will help, but several who posted on this topic 2 years ago, when we
had a lengthy series of postings, agreed that teflon was the best lubricant
for this problem...  The consensus is that the tiny gears inside the 10:1
gearbox get dry and bind, putting an upwards thrust on the shaft which lifts
the wiper off of the rheostat, bringing the party to a screeching halt....
Spaying some teflon up the shaft seems to forestall this problem... But I
STRONGLY suggest that you get a spare pot ffrom TIC or Digikey, for when it
finally fails (during a contest - always!)...
If you are having a problem and the rotor is stuck, the archives of towertalk
(also  the contesting reflector) should have a copy of my step-by-step
patented process for getting it turning again..

Denny