[TowerTalk] Control cable Grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Control cable Grounding
From: jlangdon@outer.net (John Langdon)
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 06:28:01 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From:   Dick Flanagan [SMTP:dick@libelle.com]
Sent:   Wednesday, November 04, 1998 12:14 AM

Snip

SNIP

When I installed my tower and grounding system, I bugged two good friends
(and PolyPhaser engineers) for help every step of the way.  On the subject
of the number and position of lightning protectors for coax and control
cables, their response was:

Coax:  Three suppressors per cable.  One at the top of the tower, one at
the bottom of the tower where it makes the 90 degree bend to go to the
shack, and one at the ground window entering the shack.

Control Cables:  Two suppressors per cable.  One at the top of the tower
and one at the ground window entering the shack.

IMHO, if the base of the tower is more than 75' from the entry point to the
shack, even if and the cables are buried, you should put a suppressor at the
base of the tower AND at the entrance to the shack.

73 John N5CQ