[TowerTalk] Opinions? Gem Quad element wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Opinions? Gem Quad element wire
From: grimm@lynchburg.net (Kenneth D. Grimm)
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 16:24:22 -0500
Soft copper wire will be fine for 20 mx and smaller quad loops.  The
weight that they are carrying is negligible.  Over the years I've used
all sorts of wire for the elements on tri-band quads and the soft-drawn
#14 worked just as well and lasted as long as the rest.  The only reason
I'm not using a quad today is that they are too darn hard to handle.
I've still got the makings for a quad or two, and if mother nature takes
out the Force 12 stuff, I'll probably go back to them.  I'll probably
use some surplus #14 or #12 house wire.  It's relatively cheap and very
available.
73,
Ken K4XL

Gregg Corsello wrote:

> A buddy of mine just got a Gem Quad.  The element wire appears to be
> soft copper.
> How will this hold up?  Will it stretch?  Break?  Is it ok?
> Thanks in advance for your opinions.....
>
> 73........de Gregg, K3QK
>
> http://www.qsl.net/k3qk
>
> --

Ken K4XL
grimm@lynchburg.net
BoatAnchor Manual Archive - ftp://bama.sbc.edu