[TowerTalk] Opinions? Gem Quad element wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Opinions? Gem Quad element wire
From: hwardsil@WOLFENET.com (Ward Silver)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 06:53:16 -0800 (PST)

> A buddy of mine just got a Gem Quad.  The element wire appears to be
> soft copper.
> How will this hold up?  Will it stretch?  Break?  Is it ok?
> Thanks in advance for your opinions.....
>
> 73........de Gregg, K3QK

It holds up fine with the exception of at the feedpoints.  Mine has been
up for about five years without major troubles.  I have had to replace the
black tie-wraps once due to aging.

Attaching coax to the wires is problematic on any quad.  What I finally
came up with was a piece of epoxy circuit board (sans copper) about 2" x
3" with brass screw on which ring terminals could be attached.  The coax
feeds (I use quarter-wave sections of RG-62/U with and RCS-8V switchbox to
feed each element individually.) are held solid by a couple tie-wraps
through the board.  The elements are attached to ring terminals (soldered)
and everything given a liberal coating of no-ox compound.  The only
remaining failure point is at the junction of the element wires and the
ring terminal.

If I was to make the necessary changes, I would extend the epoxy board out
along the element wires so that I could provide some flexure restraint to
the wires, as well.

The Gem-Quad has been a good performer for me.

73, Ward N0AX