[TowerTalk] KT34A

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KT34A
From: thompson@mindspring.com (thompson@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 17:20:05 -0500
I agree with N4KG sounds like you may not have proper parasitic element
interaction.  You have two on the KT34A...the reflector and the director.
Make sure these are working.   Check the decoupling portion as was
recommended for 1/2 ohm.  I would even use an MFJ 259 or similar to see
where the element works on each band.

I would see what the front to back and front to side is like.  You should
have 15 to 20DB front to back and 30 to 40 DB F/S.   If there is little or
no front to back then suspect the reflector.

I have been recapping my KT34XA and three other things to look for.  Any of
the caps that are split or black should be replaced.  Look at each element
half at the fiberglass piece...mine were black and eaten into by
pollution...REPLACE.   When replacing the caps make sure the 3/8" by 72"
piece of aluminum they sit on is not broken...two of mine were!  Replace!

10 Years and no repair probably means a few fixes will make it run great.
Unfortunately antennas do require repair and maintenance.

Dave K4JRB