[TowerTalk] House Bracketed ROHN 45G Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] House Bracketed ROHN 45G Question
From: k6ll@juno.com (k6ll@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:05:30 +0000

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 23:13:18 -0700 "K7HPH" <k7hph@xmission.com> writes:

>There are two house brackets mounted according to ROHN specs with =
>respect to load handling capability. However, they are mounted at 8
>feet =
>and 16 feet instead of the 16-35 feet called out in the ROHN =
>specification.=20
>
>My question is this. I have another section of 45G that I would like
>to =
>add to bring the tower to 50 feet. If I add the section, what would be
>=
>the load handling capacity of the tower with the house brackets left
>at =
>their current heights of 8 and 16 feet? Also, I live in a 70 MPH wind
>=
>zone.

Well, the top of the tower will be 34 feet above the top house
bracket. If you look at the 100' bracketed tower in the Rohn
book, it coincidentally is also 34 feet above the recommended
top house bracket and is rated for 5.5 sq feet at 70 mph,
2 sq feet at 80 mph, and unsafe at 90 mph. That's a starting
point anyway. Note that the house connection has to withstand
an 1810 pound horizontal force, and the connection to the structure
has to be designed "by others." That's a pretty good tug. I don't
think my house would support that!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]