[TowerTalk] LMR 900 Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LMR 900 Question
From: DavisRFinc@aol.com (DavisRFinc@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:40:35 EST
Hi ALL,  Dave hits the key points right on.  To add,  you can direct bury any
standard version of LMR.  If you are concerned that a pick ax, back hoe, etc.
might cut the jacket, get the "DB" version, direct burial, which is the
flooded Dave mentions.  Downside is a LOT more cost.  I would skip DB and use
conduit if I thought a sharp shovel or ax, plus, like most hams, no backhoe
would get near my buried cable - HI.  True, many places sell LMR including us,
DAVIS RF Co. and I believe we have the lowest price.   LMR is only made by
Times.  Heliax is similar, same PE outer jacket, little more "tank run over it
proof"....LOT more expensive.  The # is the close size in mils of inch OD.
Above LMR400 special connectors but we can get you times conectors or less
expensive custom built; however, unless you use Times and it's installed by a
licensed installer, you lose the Times cable guaranty, not that we have seen
any cable problems.  Cheers,  Steve, K1PEK
---------------------------
DAVIS RF Co., Commercial wire/cable, RF connectors, custom cable design.
Discounts to hams..........BURY-FLEX ? low loss HF-microwave HDPE coax;
....FLEX-WEAVE? aerial wire. Registered trademarks of Davis Associates, Inc. .
.LMR ?, Heliax?, PolyPhaser Tm, etc.  Visit our web site at  www.davisRF.com.
1-800-328-4773   (1-800-DAVIS RF)
a message dated 11/16/98 7:21:16 AM EST, n7ex@athenet.net writes:

<< Hello TowerTalk Dudes,

 >I'm confused.  What is LMR 400 and 900?  Is that 75 ohm stuff used by the
 >cable TV industry?

 The LMR series of coax is a low loss version of 50 Ohm coax. It comes in a
 variety of sizes. The larger sizes as you might expect all take special
 connectors as it is all non standard diameters. It is produced by Times
 Microwave (and others?) and distributed by The Wireman (and others I'm sure).
 The larger varieties have a copper clad aluminum ceneter conductor, and a
 doubled shielded outer of tinned braid plus foil, and UV jacket. Also comes
 in a special direct Burial version for a few $$ more. I think (but am not
 sure ) that the number is roughly equivalent to the outside diameter of ,
 i.e LMR600 is about .6 inch in diameter .

 DAve
 K9NX