[TowerTalk] Phillystran and cable clamps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Phillystran and cable clamps
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:28:24 -0700 (MST)
 Gerald at  Texas Towers told me that the smallest
>Phillystran (1200 lb. test) would be sufficient to hold this in 70  mph
>wind.  Further, Texas Towers' catalog says to use 4 cable clamps with the
>smallest Phillystran and preform grips with all other sizes.
>
>The "local tower guru" only used 3 clamps, and said  I didn't need 4 anyway
>when he helped me put up the antenna  Steve, could you elaborate a little
>on your comment?  Am I at risk with only 3 clamps, considering the square
>footage of tower and antenna?

I would suggest using four clamps, ala, follow the manufacturers
directions.  While three is the right number for EHS 1x7 strand
the Philly tends to "flow" more and four is really required to obtain
full strength.

Similar to using "nicopress" fittings in non-standard applications.
A single nicopress will hold aircraft cable--but when using
them on 1x7 EHS you need THREE to guarantee that the cable
will fail before the clamps.  (Two usually is enough, but not always--
to be SURE of making the termination stronger than the cable you
need three----based on tests I had the nicopress people run about
20 years ago when I asked them about 1x7 and they decided to
find out for sure by breaking some cables for me.)

73  John  W0UN