[TowerTalk] Phillystran and cable clamps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Phillystran and cable clamps
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:14:34 EST

<< I am somewhat concerned over your comments, ref: item 5 below, where you
 say that "cable clamps and Phillystran do not mix"!!

K7LXC said

 >  >5) If Phillystran is used with cable clamps (highly not recommended)
 use one size smaller than above.

       Cable clamps and Phillystran do not mix anymore.>>

       The current generation of Phillystran has a different PVC jacket
material than the original did; it is softer and more pliable. When this new
Phillystran was introduced, the approved termination method was to use cable
clamps like it was steel wire rope. Unfortunately, the Phillystran tended to
cold-flow. While I'm not aware of any failures due to this, the factory went
to the Preformed company and had them design a grip specifically for
Phillystran. The Preformed grip is the only approved termination now EXCEPT in
the HPTG1200 size - the smallest they make. Use of 4 cable clamps is the
accepted method for it.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC