[TowerTalk] FW: Help = 80M 4 square

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Help = 80M 4 square
From: n2tk@idsi.net (N2TK)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 12:30:53 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Jack Schuster [mailto:w1wef@snet.net]
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 1998 1:50 PM
To: n2tk@idsi.net
Subject: 4 Sq

I have a four square with Tee tops off my 108 ft tower on 80. I
currently have 6 elevated radials on each. at one point I had one on
each, similar to yours. while it made it nice to tune the antenna
easily, my feeling was that it was not as good as when I had 4 radials
previous to that.

I presently have min dumped power at 3650, and can operate phone or CW.
However, I feel it was better when it was optimized for CW...ie better
on CW!
At that time tests with GM3POI showed 24db f/b.

At one point I had full vertical height, w/o top loading. I feel that
was my best configuration. reason I went to abt 45 ft with tee tops was
that ropes had to go over far out trees, high enough so the trees swayed
in the wind and broke them.

I plan to rework it all, get more vertical with less top loading,
possibly gg to ground radials on three but leaving elevated on the one
right over my driveway!
I will optimize it for cw again. I think if you can go to full vertical
you will be best off. Also, more radials, elevated or single will be
better, and optimize it closer to the freq you want to operate on! 73 GL
JACK W1WEF