FW: [TowerTalk] FW: Help - 80m 4 square

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: [TowerTalk] FW: Help - 80m 4 square
From: n2tk@idsi.net (N2TK)
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 12:30:02 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Prater [mailto:praterdg@ornl.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 1998 6:54 AM
To: N2TK
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Help - 80m 4 square

Tony,
I am using the same antenna here. I have had confidence that this one seems
to be working. I say "seems" because the only thing I have to compare it
too is a 1/4 wave sloper and comparisons with locals running verticals,
dipoles etc. The best I remember the article indicates the antenna should
present about 2.3 db gain over a dipole. If you don't think it is
performing right first check the wasted power. It will normally not be more
than 5-10 watts max. If it is over that the performance goes fast. I have
seen on average 10-15 db front to back. I have seen 20-30 db front to side.
That is just watching the s meter, not a scientific measurement.
Performance wise it seems to beat the slopers, dipoles and other cloud
warmers. It will not compete with the beams, but there are not that many
beams on 80 meters anyway. Oh!...I forgot to mention the sloping part.
ON4UN states that if you come more that 19-20 degrees off vertical you
loose the vertical component. The way I got around that was to build a boom
structure and put it at about 75-80 feet. Each arm extends out 21 feet.
from the tower. That keeps the wires within the design requirements. My
radials are about 8 feet off the ground. Just high enough to not hang
someone. I use only one radial. There is not that much advantage to adding
more radials. If you add one more make sure it is in the opposite direction
to the one you already have. If you add more than that, add them in pairs
in opposite directions. I use 300 ohm twin lead to extend the tuning to
3.500 Mhz. Don't know if this is of any help but my experience.

73...DX...Don...W4TO