[TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Ground systems

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Ground systems
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 11:06:56 -1000
Tom, W8JI,  has written,  in part:

>"This "radial stuff" goes on and on. Probably the main reason it continues
>is few of us like to do a lot work or spend a lot of money. "

Well I have just recently purchased 10,000 feet,  10 spools
of #16 solid copper radial wire;  several hundred dollars.
Now I can't use it.  I have been "invited" to remove my
six (!) verticals from the ratty,  vine infested,  moderately
steep ravine side location just behind my QTH.  This land
has gone unused for mellinia;  now has been leased from
the Plantation by a fellow who wants to fence it,  and
pasture horses there!!!  Had I known,  I probably could
have also leased it last Spring for $15 per acre per year,
thats what the going rate is for land of no use to the
plantation estates,  who will NEVER sell the land!

Anyway,  I will flat out loose any chance of having 160
and 80 meter verticals again;  well maybe he 80 here
in house lot size yard.  But the others must move up
to the upstairs deck area on the roof of the house.

My verticals are all Gladiators,  and six of them will
be mounted as triple banders:  see Meyers web site
for info on same:

    http://www.primenet.com/~bmyers/triple.htm

A photo is shown of exactly what I have up on the roof now
for the 10,  15,  and 20 meter bands,  mounted on a single
Radio Shack push up pole.  The feed point is about 22 feet
above the soil level surrounding our home.  The ends of the
six radiasl (two only per band now) are near roof level,  or
around 12 feet or a bit heigher above the soil level,  but of
course from a few inches to two or three feet above the
rood shingle levels.  Shingels are a cement composition
type called "Hardishakes"  they survived hurricane Inike
a few years ago.  Lost none of them,  except to breakage
via flying timbers from a neighbors home which the winds
blew apart!

Now,  if I read L. B, Cebik's web site correctly,  see:

    http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~cebik/vdgp.html

Title of the page is:

"Vertical Dipoles and Ground Planes
What Antenna Modeling Reports
L. B. Cebik, W4RNL"

LB makes no real conclusions about verticals elevated
a significant percentage of a wavelength over the
ground plane;  whether artificial or actual earth;
his remarks are mostly about the modeling
and relevance to the real world, pr actiually,
the lack thereof.

LB's is the most complete modeling discussion of
vertical dipoles over ground planes I have seen.  Note,
he does not discuss 1/4 wave verticals over ground planes,
but is interesting anyway.

LB also references another study by Rick, N6RK of ground
screens beneath some 20 meter verticals,  both 1/4 wave
and half wave in length;  see:  http://www.karlquist.com/

His paper is in .pdf format, so the Adobe Acrobat reader will
be needed to have a look at his work.

Rick seems to conclude that a vertical over a good ground
screen,  some 0.4 waves above, performs no better than
a horizontal dipole at 0.5 waves high.  Therefore,  he decides
never to use them above 40 meters.  This conclusion is
drawn from his tests at 20 meters.

Now I will soon have 7 verticals,  from 40 on up through the WARC
bands to 10 meters all up on the roof;  six bands as Gladiator
triple banders as mentioned,  plus the full length, 33 foot tall
40 meter 1/4th wave vertical.  All will have resonant elevated
radials up there,  two per band.

Now the question is:  should that be the way I go,  or should I
try to create a dense ground screen up on the roof using
a lot of my 10 spools of 1000 feet each of the #16 copper
wire.  Lots of wire spoking out in all directions from just
below the elevated feed points of the 7 Gladiators?  I
believed that I had read somewhere among LB's papers
that doing so would be of no benefit to the vertial's
efficiency,  but now I can no longer find the particular
sentences I seem to recall,  oh well,  will copy LB,
perhaps he can confirm or deny,  hi.

Any thoughts about my present situation woulb be
greatly appreciated;  I have the option of returning
the 10 spools of copper wire,  so must decide soon!

I also appreciate all the advice I was given,  particularly
by Tom,  W8JI,  about how to deal with the verticals
when they were out among the vines;  but,  alas,  now
all has changed.

Happy Holidays and 73,

Jim,  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai