[TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-8V Remote Coax Switch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ameritron RCS-8V Remote Coax Switch
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 15:51:30 -0500
Carlos and all,

> The advertisement says that it has good performance up to 250mhz and it
is
> useable to 450mhz. Did anymone measure the real loss on 144 and 430??
Does
> it really work on VHF/UHF??

It works excellent up to 200 MHz, and starts to have ripple in SWR at 220
MHz. I do not consider it a "good switch" for 450 although you might get
away with it for local contacts.

It will handle high power, it is connector limited for power below 50 MHz.
If you use PTFE SO-239's, it will handle at least 8 kW in heavy operation
as long as you do not hot switch it or have an unreasonably high SWR (more
than 3:1).

I've used one unit since 1982, and never have had a single problem. Just
mount it the correct way and do NOT seal the box. The gold flashed contact
custom relays will never give you a connection problem IF you do not seal
the box and trap moisture inside. For salt water environments, vacuum
relays would be much better.

73 Tom