[TowerTalk] Attaching coax shield to the tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Attaching coax shield to the tower
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 17:07:46 EST
In a message dated 99-01-04 14:14:46 EST, DAVED@ctilidar.com writes:

<< does anybody know of an easy way of attaching the shield of RG-213 cable
 or (similar) to the top and bottom of a grounded tower? I've read that
 this is desirable for lightning protection (grounds shield currents
 before they can leave the tower), and possibly to reduce noise pickup.
 It of course needs to be a water proof method. >>

       Commercial companies such as Andrew, Polyphaser, etc. provide 'ground
kits' that use a compression bracket applied directly to the shield. You peel
off an amount of jacket and install the shield ground 'clamp'. The kit
includes a ground wire and weatherproofing vaporwrap. They run $20-30 each.
It's the only accepted way I've seen for feedline grounding. Champion Radio
Products sells the Polyphaser versions.

Cheers,    Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
http://www.championradio.com