[TowerTalk] Attaching coax shield to the tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Attaching coax shield to the tower
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 11:49:44 -0500
I just strip off the jacket for an inch, and lay a 1/2 inch wide copper
foil along the braid with two flying (free) ends.

I tightly wrap the shield to the foil with a single flat layer of thin
CLEAN solid buss wire, about number 22, and flash solder the wire ends in
place.

Then I weather-proof the whole thing with a layer of auto-body seam sealer,
covered by good electrical tape, and more goop over the tape.

The copper foil leads hanging out can be grounded.

IMO this is more reliable than adding two connectors and a barrel,
especially if one is careful in the weatherproofing stage of the process.

73 Tom