[TowerTalk] Low band antenna with existing tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Low band antenna with existing tower?
From: ac0x@qsl.net (Louis Sica, Jr.)
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:10:04 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01BE5026.88BCB380

OK, here's my situation.....

It looks like I'll finally get to put up a small tower and beam (40' =
with a
small log periodic) this summer. Problem is, my Butternut vertical is =
going
to have to come down when I do this. This leaves me with no low band
antenna.

I have no trees.

I can't put up guy wires (no room).

I've agreed to not "clutter up the yard" with slopers or inverted =
v-ends.

This leaves me to use the tower as a low band antenna. I've looked at
various shunt feed schemes, problem is, they're all single band, and I'm
looking to somehow use the tower for 160m-30m (I do some SWLing, too).

So, here's my idea. I know it's a compromise, but tell me if I'm =
completely
off my rocker: Feed the tower as a folded monopole, but fed at about 10 =
15' feet from the ground (which I know is "wrong"), with ladder line, =
and
through a (shudder!) wide range tuner. This should give me the frequency
range I want, and from what I've seen with computer models a decent =
angle of
radiation up to about 14 MHz or so, where the pattern starts to point =
more
and more straight up. I know it's not phased tuned verticals, but again,
it's a compromise.

Thanks to all for their time.

----
Lou Sica
ac0x@qsl.net

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01BE5026.88BCB380

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>OK, here's my situation.....<BR><BR>It looks like I'll finally get =
to put=20
up a small tower and beam (40' with a<BR>small log periodic) this =
summer.=20
Problem is, my Butternut vertical is going<BR>to have to come down when =
I do=20
this. This leaves me with no low band<BR>antenna.<BR><BR>I have no=20
trees.<BR><BR>I can't put up guy wires (no room).<BR><BR>I've agreed to =
not=20
&quot;clutter up the yard&quot; with slopers or inverted =
v-ends.<BR><BR>This=20
leaves me to use the tower as a low band antenna. I've looked =
at<BR>various=20
shunt feed schemes, problem is, they're all single band, and =
I'm<BR>looking to=20
somehow use the tower for 160m-30m (I do some SWLing, too).<BR><BR>So, =
here's my=20
idea. I know it's a compromise, but tell me if I'm completely<BR>off my =
rocker:=20
Feed the tower as a folded monopole, but fed at about 10 to<BR>15' feet =
from the=20
ground (which I know is &quot;wrong&quot;), with ladder line, =
and<BR>through a=20
(shudder!) wide range tuner. This should give me the frequency<BR>range =
I want,=20
and from what I've seen with computer models a decent angle =
of<BR>radiation up=20
to about 14 MHz or so, where the pattern starts to point more<BR>and =
more=20
straight up. I know it's not phased tuned verticals, but again,<BR>it's =
a=20
compromise.<BR><BR>Thanks to all for their time.<BR><BR>----<BR>Lou =
Sica<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:ac0x@qsl.net";>ac0x@qsl.net</A><BR><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>=