[TowerTalk] temp guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] temp guys
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:10:26 EST
In a message dated 99-02-03 22:45:37 EST, jlangdon@outer.net writes:

> The other thing the "pros" do is watch the guys both temp as they go up and
>  permanent as they go under the temps and then up to see if the tension is
>  reasonably equal (Loos gauge) and the sections are plumb with both sets of
>  guys before the next section goes on and the temps move up to it.

     Wait a minute. When are you 'moving the temps up'? The sequence for Rohn
guyed tower of any caliber is to put up 4 sections, attach the permanent guys,
put up 4 more sections, attach guys, repeat as necessary. This means that you
can safely climb up to 4 sections of exposed tower. People do it every day.

     If you are putting in temporary guys in the midst of these 4 section
erections, then you're doing it for psychological reasons. They really aren't
necessary. This also adds about twice as much time to do the job.

>  Going
>  down, level checking is by eye but guy tension bears checking with the
>  gauge.  When this is not done (at least in my admittedly limited
>  experience), a lot of time is spent diagnosing how things got out of kilter
>  and what major fix to apply, and this process takes longer and is
>  considerably riskier than lots of little checks and little fixes.

       You check a tower for plumb and tension from the bottom up - not the
top down.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech
Champion Radio Products