[TowerTalk] A Sad Precedent

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Sad Precedent
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:13:05 EST
w5ba@csi.com writes:

<<      "In what is called the first decision of its kind, a jury Monday
ordered
 GTE Wireless to pay $1.2 MILLION to a city of Bunker Hill Village couple who
claim a 100-foot cellular phone TOWER NEAR their home has lessened the value
of their
 property and caused them MENTAL ANGUISH. >>

Throw in McDonnald's coffee case, Tobacco cases, OJ, Clintonade, now gun
manufacturers and there is a picture of "justice"!  What's next? Knives,
forks?
Makes you sick and wishing to live somewhere away from this "civilization."
I was kind of hoping to put up my Big Bertha here at the QTH, but it would be
cheaper to find the marsh with mosquitoes for it, than here among "civilized"
people.
All the new Ham training material should include the clause: "Welcome to
wonderful hobby of ham radio. Warning from Attorney General: You could be sued
and lose your last shirt if you put up the tower, cause interference or in any
other way cause mental anguish to your neighbors by engaging in your radio
activities."
I hope that above "couple" will use smoke signals or yell for help next time
they need it.
Oh well, good think it is only a hobby! Off I go looking for marsh, thanks for
the precedent, saves me a bundle, I can plow that money into station setup
now. :-(
I remember days in Toronto, where I had 110' Big Bertha with 62 ft booms on a
46x120 ft city lot. Value of the house tripled since we bought it and then a
year later tripled again after we sold it. New owners gained 20 cu yards
concrete block in the backyard that they can use as an anchor for the house in
case of hurricane. :-) Nobody went to nut house, the neighbours were proud of
having such an landmark around and radio champ, who fixed their electronic
junk.

73 Yuri K3BU/m, VE3BMV
welcome to year 2K