[TowerTalk] Help with beam rotation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Help with beam rotation
From: boerkamp@nortelnetworks.com (Ted Boerkamp)
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:07:21 -0500
Randy Tudor wrote:

> I have a TH7 at 40 feet in a Ham IV. I am on the top of a hill at 2000 feet
> ASL. I get a lot of high winds. The beam gets off the correct heading in the
> strong winds.
>
> My question - should I pin the mast to the rotator to stop the rotation? I
> am not sure if I would cause a problem to the rotator.
>
> I would appreciate any input.
>
> Randy
> K4ODL
>
> --

Hello Randy.....I was in a similar situation last summer....I had put up
a TH7 at 55ft with a T2X rotor and within a few months I had to go up
the tower 2 or 3 times due to the mast slipping in the rotor clamps
(after a few good wind storms). I asked the same question of the guys
here on the reflector (about pinning) and I received some replies saying
NO dont pin the mast, the rotor will get damaged etc. and YES I have
pinned both the mast to rotor but also the boom to mast.  Personally,
I got tired of going up the tower so often and I pinned my mast to the
T2X....I have not had any problems with the rotor/beam at all since, even
after a few good wind and snow storms. If you read back through the archives
of towertalk from the last half of last year,  you should find some discussion
of the "pinning" issue.  I dont know what the clamp plate on a HAM IV is
like...on a T2X there is already a pre-drilled hole for putting a bolt through.
The other thing I try to do is to make sure the beam is pointed in the right
direction in relation to the wind (when not in use), as to provide the minimum
wind loading. The choice is yours to make.....good luck with it!!!
73 Ted VE3SS