[TowerTalk] Elements out of Horizontal plane

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Elements out of Horizontal plane
From: k3gt@pgh.net (Bob Thacker)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 08:30:58 -0500
Gary, all I can tell you is my practical experience. Have a Hy-Gain
402BA (2 Ele 40) that the previous owner tightened the element to boom
set screws too tight crushing the boom and stressing it so hard it broke
through the boom wall (1/4" hole at first). So, once in awhile it gets
blown out of horizontal. I never noticed any practical degradation of rx
ot tx signal. Just climb the mast (12' above the tower) twist the boom
to mast bracket and straighten the dern thing...a royal pain. Takes
about 20 minutes to do and 4 hours to get the nerve to climb the mast.
The 402BA electrically connects the reflector to the boom through a
shorting wire. If that comes loose, it may degrade performance. Planning
on changing the boom next month to elimiante this problem. Now, might I
suggest that the reason for your poor performance is that an electical
connection came loose in the storm. Go get the nerve and straighten it
out!

Good Luck and 73,
Bob K3GT