[TowerTalk] Best vs. Maxwell -- Again??( LONG !!)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best vs. Maxwell -- Again??( LONG !!)
From: wx0b@arraysolutions.com (Jay, WX0B)
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:49:08 -0600
I will probably regret this but let me jump in while the water is still
fine.

I looked over Steve's article while on the Stairmaster for an hour a few
days ago.

And basically without checking all the math I found no problems with his
basic line of reasoning and his summary.  With all due respect to Mr.
Reid I also find this thread somewhat interesting since I deal with it
on a day to day basis in my high power RF plasma work.  So thank you Jim
for bringing up these issues once again.

What I need to do is now go through the math and double check the
article, but I bet Mr. Best did his homework before he ever wrote the
article, which is a very difficult task to acheive.

I would encourage everyone reading so far to try to duplicate Steve's or
for that matter Jim's effort in his analysis below in following the
article and write your own rebuttle.

Now to some thoughts of mine, which I hope to be at least somewhat
interesting to those who care.

Antennas or plasma loads do have very low impedances, especially gas
plasma loads, which act simply put as zener diodes.  But the coupling
device (antenna if I may be so bold) is usually either a capacitive
electrode or in the case of some semiconductor processes it is an
inductively coupled plasma or ICP load.  These have typical R +/- J
values of 1 ohm or more to hundreds of ohms of +/- J.  They are
definetly weird loads to the RF and they present very high reflected
powers on the transmission line feeding them.  Even at 13.56 mHz we try
to put the matching network as close as to the load as possible.  Inches
away.  Why you ask would we do so if in the case that Jim may be making
the line loss would not make much difference if we put the matching
network say 5 feet away.  At 13.56 mhz this is not that far away
considering the wavelength.  Right?  ................Wrong.

The losses in the cable are huge.  We try to minimize them by using
RG393 teflon cables and in some cases double runs of this cable.  But we
are talking of hundreds of RF amps which are trying to be sent to the
load and are being sent into heat by R losses in the cable and also in
dielectric loss.  And it does not have to be at 5,10, or 20 kW either.
Most plasma processes require 500 watts to 2 kW of power.  On top of
that we don't use wimpy matching networks like you find in a typical ham
consumer network.  These guys are $6000.00 matching networks, they will
do 1,2, and 5 kW forever.  And they use very high quality Vacuum
Variable capacitors and silver plated water cooled coils at the higher
power levels. If you compared one of these to the stuff we buy for
$500.00 you imediately see the difference.  But they are no magic pill
for the transmission line loss.  They just can accept more reflected
power.

Even with all this, the cables get very very hot.  At higher powers we
use Hardline cables, or water cooled rods, but thats another story. I am
still talking at levels of 1 kW to 2 kW more common to our world of
radio.

The point of all this in real practicle terms, no decimal points or
integral calculus needed, is that power loss in cables with a mismatch
is very real, very difficult to deal with, and must be well understood
to really know what your power loss is.  Jim, when you traded your coax
in for twinline a few months ago (yes I remember) you did a very
intelligent move.  You understood that you had alot of loss in the
coaxial cable and you changed.  By doing so you basically agreed with
Mr. Best, and also Mr. Maxwell.  Although I do not represent myself as
speaking for them.  They can do so for themselves.

I also made choices in my antenna systems, I am willing to live with
some loss, but try to minimize it where possible but also enjoy some of
the benifits of having coax in the system.

My intent here is not to embarrass anyone(especially myself), I enjoy
both Jim's and Steve's input to this reflector, and I hope Jim and Steve
will continue to contribute as well as others.  This subject is not well
understood.  Even though I deal with it daily, I still learn from my
customers, and also am sometimes amazed at what some of my customers get
away with.

Did I ever tell you gus about the guys who were using 20 kW to excite a
Co2 lazer at 80 mHz........man did they ever burn up some cable.  But
thats for a couple of beers later at Dayton this year.

73 and GN to all.

Jay, WX0Bannana