[TowerTalk] Best vs. Maxwell -- Again??( LONG !!)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best vs. Maxwell -- Again??( LONG !!)
From: W4EF@pacbell.net (Michael Tope)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 05:43:34 +0000
Tom,

I haven't seen Dr. Best's article or even read Maxwell's book
for that matter, so I am coming somewhat from a point of ignorance.
My questions is, are the graphs that you see in the ARRL handbook
and ON4UN's Low Band DXing book, which relate mismatch loss to
matched loss, correct generically or do they contain an implicit
assumption about the loss mechanism (dielectric loss due to
displacement current in the dielectric versus I^2R heating losses in
the conductors)? In other words, is the math kind to us in such a way
that you can accurately predict the mismatch loss armed only with a "one
size fits all" graph and a measurement of the matched cable loss, or
do I need the additional knowledge of what is going on inside the cable
to make an accurate prediction of the mismatched loss?

If this is not the case that a "one size fits all graph" can be used,
then the handbooks should be revised to indicate this, and a family
of graphs should be included to illustrate the how the mismatch loss
factors vary across a useful set of real world feedlines (open wire line,
coax, ladder line, etc.). After all, the desired result is that Joe Ham
can go take a NEC prediction of VSWR for his new antenna and the matched line
loss data for the cable curled up in his garage, and figure out the
penalty in decibels for having his tuner in the shack versus at the
feedpoint. That is what I would call useful information.

73 de Mike, W4EF...........