[TowerTalk] Orion rotator application note

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Orion rotator application note
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 14:55:53 EST
Greetings, TowerTalkians --

      Other than a prop pitch, the Orion 2800 is about the best amateur
rotator available but I've run across three Orions in the last couple of
months with the same problem. And that is, in spite of having the best and
beefiest mast clamp in the world, all three of them had loosened up and the
antennas were being turned by the wind. One was a TH11, one was a C-4XL and
the other was an M2 2L 75M yagi.

       In all cases, the nuts on the long bolts through the mast clamp had
loosened up. And all of these nuts were the nylock ones supplied by the
factory and also had spring lockwashers. These were both versions - the fine
threaded and the coarse threaded ones so they are both subject to the same
problem.

     While re-tightening them is great, I think it is inevitable that they'll
loosen up again. In the case of the 2L 75M, it went through almost 2 winters
before coming loose.

     Anyone using this rotator should plan on taking added precautions to
prevent this. In my cases, I'm going to double-nut everything. Another option
would be to use some Locktite (sorry - I can't remember if it's the blue or
red to use). Or do both. In any case, you won't be sorry.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC
http://www.championradio.com