[TowerTalk] Orion rotator application note

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Orion rotator application note
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 18:18:19 -0800
During a conversation w Mike a week ago he said that M2 abandoned the rubber
donut shock absorber because the bolts loosened and gave trouble. He also said
that rotator mounting bolt loosening is a frequent problem. They have supplied
some commercial rotator systems w drilled head aircraft grade bolts safety
wired.
These are very expensive. He also said they are looking at some sort of sheet
metal plate with bend up tabs as used on some automobile assemblies. He
suggested
using RTV on the bolt heads rather than Loctite. This can be cut away with a
knife if removal is necessary. He feels that it is necessary to periodically do
maintenance tightening of bolts.
  I wonder if the different thermal coefficients of aluminum and steel cause
some
of these problems. I like the use of lock washers to accomodate small
dimensional
changes w temperature. Double nutting, as suggested by Steve , is certainly a
good practice.  73, Dan, N5AR